Have more than one idea on the go at any one time. If it’s a choice between writing a book and doing nothing I will always choose the latter. It’s only if I have an idea for two books that I choose one rather than the other. I always have to feel that I’m bunking off from something.
– Geoff Dyer
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
– Douglas Adams
The days are long, but the years are short. Time is passing, and I’m not focusing enough on the things that really matter.
— Gretchen Rubin, author of The Happiness Project.
1. Problem With Procrastination? Try This: Do Nothing, from The Happiness Project
2. Why Are You Really Procrastinating? from The Write Practice
3. Procrastination Is Essential To Innovation from HBR
4. 50 Things You’re Putting Off That You’ll Regret Later from Time Management Ninja
5. “It turns out procrastination is not typically a function of laziness, apathy or work ethic as it is often regarded to be. It’s a neurotic self-defense behavior that develops to protect a person’s sense of self-worth.” – From Miss Turdle.
6. A.C. Grayling (who sounds very much like a mild-mannered Richard Dawkins) gives a depressing talk about how we really only have 1,000 months to live, and only a ‘golden 300′.
7. Franz Kafka was a great procrastinator, from Salon’s series of Daily Rituals
8. You have only 4,000 weeks of your existence. Use them wisely. (The most depressing nugget of information I’ve heard all day, otherwise I’d tape it to my wall.)
9. WHY PROCRASTINATION DOESN’T NEED A CURE–AND MIGHT EVEN MAKE YOU MORE PRODUCTIVE from Fast Company